Notes on Published British Orderly Books
© 2000, 2001 - John K. Robertson, Don Hagist, and Todd Braisted
- O'Callaghan, E.B., ed. Orderly Book of Lieut. Gen. John Burgoyne, from his entry into the state of New York until his surrender at Saratoga, 16th Oct., 1777. Albany, NY: J. Munsell, 1860. Original at Washington's Headquarters, State Historic Site, Newburgh, NY.
- Hadden's journal and orderly books : a journal kept in Canada and upon Burgoyne's campaign in 1776 and 1777, by Lieut. James M. Hadden, Roy. Art. : also orders kept by him and issued by Sir Guy Carleton, Lieut. General John Burgoyne and Major General William Phillips, in 1776, 1777, and 1778, with an explanatory chapter and notes by Horatio Rogers.. Albany, NY: Munsell's Sons, 1884. Reprint, Freeport, NY: Books for Libraries Press, 1970, also Freeport, NY: Gregg Press, 1972.
- "Order Book of Lieut. Col. Stephen Kemble, Adjutant General and Deputy Adjutant General to the British forces in America, 1775-1778" Collections of the New-York Historical Society. New York: NYHS, 1883, pp. 251-585, 586-603, 604-626.
- Memorial History of Boston, vol III, p. 83.
- Newsome, A.R., ed. "A British Orderly Book, 1780-1781." The North Carolina Historical Review, v9 (Oct-Jan 1932), pp. 57-78, 163-186, 273-290, 366-392.
- Stephens, B.F., ed. General Sir William Howe's orderly book at Charleston, Boston, and Halifax, June 17, 1775 to 1776, 26 May: to which is added the official abridgement of correspondence with the English government during the siege of Boston, ans some military returns and now first published from the original manuscripts / with an introduction by E.E.Hale. London: B.F. Stevens, 1890. Reprint, Port Washington, NY: Kennikat Press, 1970.
- Bangor Historical Magazine, vol V, p. 146.
- Jordan, John W., ed. "Extracts from the Order Book of Major Robert Clayton, of the Seventeenth Regiment British Foot, 1778." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, v25 (1901), pp. 100-103.
- Orderly book of the three battalions of loyalists, commanded by Brigadier-General Oliver De Lancey 1776-1778; to which is appended a list of New York loyalists in the city of New York during the war of the revolution-- comp. by Willaim Kelby. New York: Printed for the New-York Historical Society, 1917. Reprint, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1972.
- Orderly book of Sir John Johnson during the Oriskany Campaign, 1776-1777; annotated by Willaim L. Stone...with an historical introdcution illustrating the life of Sir John Johnson, Bart., by J. Watts de Peyster ...and some tracings from the footprints of the Tories or loyalists in America, contributed by Theodorus Baily Myers. Albany, NY: J. Munsell's Sons, 1882.
- Orderly book during his campaign against Fort Stanwix ; from Nov 4th, 1776, to July 30th, 1777 / annotated by William L. Stone. New York: Barnes, 1881.
- Ford, Paul L., ed. Orderly book of the "Maryland loyalists regiment," June 18th, 1778, to October 12th, 1778 : including general orders issued by Sir Henry Clinton, Baron Wilhelm von Kuyphausen, Sir William Erskine, Charles, Lord Cornwallis, General William Tryon and General Oliver De Lancey. Kept by Captain Caleb Jones. Brooklyn, NY: Historical Printing Club, 1891.
- Hagist, Don N. General Orders, Rhode Island. Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2001.
Last Updated: 21 August 2001